A classic corps of singer-songwriters drops into town for shows this weekend including:
• Jackson Browne, 8 p.m. Friday, June 8, at the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre at Freedom Hill, 14900 Metropolitan Pkwy. at Schoenherr Road, Sterling Heights. Tickets are $31-$100.50 pavilion, $31 lawn.
• Stephen Stills and Judy Collins, touring together for the first time ever, 8 p.m. Saturday, June 9, in the Meadow Brook Amphitheatre on the Oakland University campus, Rochester Hills. Tickets $45-$99.50 pavilion, $30 lawn with an $80 lawn four pack.
• Paul Simon’s Homeward Bound: The Farewell tour, 8 p.m. Sunday, June 10, at the DTE Energy Music Theatre, Sashabaw Road east of I-75, Independence Township. Tickets $50-$175 pavilion, $35 lawn.
Call 313-471-7000 or visit 313Presents.com.
• Poison and Cheap Trick, 7 p.m. Friday, June 8, at the DTE Energy Music Theatre. Tickets are $39.50-$125 pavilion, $25 lawn with a $75 lawn four-pack. Call 313-471-7000 or visit 313Presents.com.
• The Beatles are back when 1964: The Tribute plays fab hits on Friday, June 8, at the Royal Oak Music Theatre, 318 W. Fourth St. Tickets are $25-$45. Call 248-399-2980 or visit royaloakmusictheatre.com.
• California’s Magic Giant, with Tall Heights, performs Friday, June 8, at the Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets are $12. Call 248-544-1991 or visit themagicbag.com.
• Rappers Warren G and Big Gov throw down Friday, June 8, at Saint Andrews Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $24.75. Call 313-833-6358 or visit saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Pavement’s Stephen Malkmus brings his other band, the Jicks, to town for a show Friday, June 8, at the Magic Stick, 4120 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Lithics will also play. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 advance, $25 day of show. Call 313-833-9700 or visit majesticdetroit.com.
• Matisyahu and Stephen Marley bring their Strength To Strength tour to town at 8 p.m. Friday, June 8 at Sound Board in the MotorCity Casino Hotel, 2901 Grand River Ave., Detroit. Tickets are $40-$52. Call 1-866-782-9622 or visit soundboarddetroit.com.
• Trumpeter Walt Szymanski comes home from Equador for shows through Saturday, June 9 at the Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe, 97 Kercheval, Grosse Pointe. Cover is $15. Call 313-882-5299 or visit dirtydogjazz.com.
• Primus, Mastodon and JJUUJJUU, 7 p.m. Saturday, June 9 in the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre at Freedom Hill. Tickets are $35-$75 pavilion, $25 lawn. Call 313-471-7000 or visit 313Presents.com.
• The Tom Petty tribute band The Insiders will do you like that at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 9, at Otus Supply, 345 E. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale. Tickets are $15 advance, $20 at the door. Call 248-291-6160 or visit otussupply.com.
• Brazilian icon Ivan Lins sings at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 9, at Orchestra Hall, 3711 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Tickets are $19-$99. Call 313-576-5111 or visit dso.org.
• New Orleans’ Water Seed shares a bill with Detroit’s Gabriel Brass Band at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 9, at PJ’s Lager House, 1254 Michigan Ave., Detroit. Tickets are $10. Call 313-961-4668 or visit pjslagerhouse.com.
• Songstress Brandi Carlile and Courtney Marie Andrews perform at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 9, at the Michigan Theater, 603 E. Liberty St., Ann Arbor. Tickets are $37.32-$77.32. Call 734-668-8463 or visit michtheater.org.
• Detroit’s own the Black Dahlia Murder headlines a headbanging bill that also includes Whitechapel and others on Sunday, June 10, at Saint Andrews Hall, Call 313-833-6358 or visit saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• R&B singer Chrisette Michele, 7:30 p.m. Sunday, June 10 at Sound Board in the MotorCity Casino Hotel, 2901 Grand River Ave., Detroit. Tickets are $35-$47. Call 866-782-0622 or visit soundboarddetroit.com.
• Al Stewart plays his hit 1976 album “Year of the Cat” with the Empty Pockets at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, June 10, at the Ark, 316. S. Main St., Ann Arbor. Tickets are $40. Call 734-761-1800 or visit theark.org.
— Gary Graff